Coronavirus and the Elderly: How In-Home Care Can Help
Amidst the Coronavirus crisis, during a period of time when staying at home and socially distanced is essential, it’s important to keep seniors safe, reassured, active and cared for.
- Safe Care: Our personal support workers are trained in infectious disease control and safe senior care, reducing the risk of community-wide exposure to COVID-19.
- Safe At Home: Seniors are safest at home, away from the risk of infection. Comfort Keepers focuses on care and supportive senior care services in the comfort and safety of home, where they are best protected while maintaining one-on-one relationships.
- Essentials: Our personal support workers can pick up prescriptions, grocery shop or provide transportation to medical appointments. Our offices can help place online orders for supplies, meals and other necessities.
- Cleaning: Our personal support workers can provide light housekeeping and make sure that surfaces are disinfected to keep seniors healthy and prepare meals to make sure they are nourished. Our staff follows hygiene procedures directed by the CDC and Public Health Agency of Canada, including vigorous and frequent handwashing with soap and water, use of sanitizing gels (with 70% alcohol level or higher), use of disinfectant wipes to frequently wipe down surfaces, proper coughing and sneezing techniques, disposal of any items that may have virus or bacteria, and much more.
- Staying Social: Comfort Keepers is all about Elevating the Human Spirit for clients, caregivers and families. That has never been more important than now. During this time of social distancing, seniors may be socially isolated, in addition to being physically isolated. Comfort Keepers works to help seniors fight depression and loneliness, especially while remaining at home. We help keep them active, optimistic and socially engaged during this period. A daily dose of joy is sorely needed.
- Family Support: Supporting families is essential. When a senior is in the care of Comfort Keepers, so is their entire family. We are a supportive resource to address questions, concerns, and check on loved ones.
- Virtual Care: Many of our offices provide digital, remote services to extend care (including virtual check-ins). We can enable social connection and augment in-home visits. This includes check-in phone calls and virtual check-ins.
- Caregiving: Whenever possible and safe, our personal support workers are encouraged to practice our signature Interactive Caregiving™. Instead of doing for the client we do with the client. Participating in daily activities will keep seniors active, engaged, and provide a sense of normalcy in a time of uncertainty.
Contact us or call (705) 728-8222 for a free virtual assessment. Let us be a resource during these difficult times.
Comments are closed.