Is Home Support Still Safe?
With so much uncertainty surrounding the current situation in Vancouver, there are bound to be many questions. If you or a loved one is in need of home care, you could have many more questions. The main one being “is home care safe”? The short answer is “Yes”! We feel that the safest place to be during times like these is in your home. The BC Care Providers Association put together a list of questions you should be sure to ask any home care provider you are thinking of using.
Here are a few of the questions they would like you to consider:
- Are staff regularly screened for possible symptoms of COVID-19?
- The organization should indicate that staff are screened before each shift. This will either take the form of a self-screening or will be done by phone by another member of staff.
- What is your policy on handwashing?
- There should be a policy in place to ensure regular handwashing. It should require staff to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds using soap and water. If this is not possible hand sanitizer may be used if the person’s hands are not visibly soiled. Employees should wash their hands when entering and leaving a client’s home, and before and after contact with the client or their belongings.
- What happens when a worker is sick?
- A clear policy should be in place so that sick workers do not visit clients.
- How are your workers educated about COVID-19?
- Here, you are looking for evidence that staff are properly trained in infection prevention and control practices. This should include reminders and refreshers.
- Does your organization have a policy on when personal protective equipment should be used?
- The organization should have guidelines in place as to when PPE should be used, and how it should be used safely (e.g., how it is put on and taken off). It is also important that you do your best to keep care workers safe.
To view the full article, please go here.
Comfort Keepers’s main priority is the health and safety of our clients and employees. You can view our COVID-19 policies or call us anytime with questions or concerns you might have. Stay safe and healthy!
Comments are closed.