Activities For Older Adults For All Seasons in Edmonton, AB
No matter how young or old we are, we need to be active and participate in activities that we like. This is what makes our lives more fulfilling and gives us joy and something to look forward to.
While some activities may become challenging for us as we age, it is important that seniors do take part in those activities they particularly enjoy. According to studies, older adults who are physically, mentally, and socially engage in their golden years are healthier, have better memories, and are less depressed or lonely.
Fortunately, there are now more opportunities than ever for seniors to engage in senior-friendly activities. It is just a matter of teamwork between the family, caregivers, and health professionals to come up with a plan that lets older adults take part in activities they love.
Some of the most popular activities in winter are:
- Holiday shopping, which is both physical activity and an opportunity for bonding with family or friends.
- Listening to music, dancing or playing instruments, which allows seniors to have some fun when they are unable to go outdoors due to bad weather. These are also good activities for older adults with mobility issues.
- Volunteering, which lets older adults stay connected with their community and give back to the less fortunate.
Seniors particularly enjoy the following activities in spring:
- Exercising, which enables seniors to establish a new routine with the arrival of nicer weather, meet new people, and improve their health.
- Spring cleaning, which can be done with the whole family and which can be an excellent opportunity to make senior homes safer.
- Celebrating holidays like St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Easter, and Mother’s Day, which allows older adults to really enjoy themselves with the people they love.
- Gardening, which is an excellent hobby for seniors that like spending time outdoors.
Some of the most loved summer activities among seniors are:
- Water aerobics, which does not put a strain on the joints but allows seniors to boost their health, relax after a hot day, and make new friends.
- Spending time indoors, including at the local shopping mall, at the movies, at museums, and more, all of which enables older adults to stay active throughout the warmest of days as well.
- Picnics, BBQs, outdoor concerts, which are great opportunities for spending time with the whole family.
In the fall, seniors can participate in these activities:
- Watching a game of football, baseball, and hockey, which can be done at stadiums and at home, both with family and with friends.
- Enjoying fall foliage, which is a particularly interesting activity for seniors who enjoy hiking or spending time in nature.
- Organizing family dinners or Halloween parties, which bring joy to the whole family and enable older adults to show off their cooking skills.
Comfort Keepers Can Help
At Comfort Keepers, we know how significant it is for older adults to enjoy themselves. We develop personalized plans for our clients and make sure to include a myriad of activities that boost physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being. Our caregivers can provide assistance with meal prep, provide transportation to events and social gatherings, offer companionship and interaction, and so much more. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can help your loved one make the most out of their senior years!
Comments are closed.