As they age, many seniors experience changes to vision, which is why they should get a vision test done once a year. In addition, they need to follow the doctor’s orders on treatment plans and vision health. In order to maintain eye health and preventing their vision from getting impaired, seniors should include the following things into their routines.
1. Healthy diet – Good nutrition is important for a senior’s overall well-being. However, some groceries can help them maintain eye health. Kale, carrots, eggs, sweet potatoes, oranges, almonds and salmon are great sources of nutrients and vitamins that can boost eye health.
2. Exercise– Exercising several times a week is not only beneficial to overall health but has benefits for the eyes too. When we work out, blood circulation is increased which leads to a removal of toxins and increased oxygen levels in the eyes.
3. Avoid eye trauma– Seniors who want to maintain their eye health should steer clear of eye trauma by wearing protective eyewear or goggles needed, using chemicals and sharp objects carefully, and fall-proofing their home so that accidents can be avoided.
4. Smart computer use– Seniors who spend a lot of time in front of a computer can suffer from headaches, eye irritation or vision issues like blurriness or seeing double. Older adults who use computers regularly should make sure that their desk has good lighting, take regular breaks and always use corrective eyewear.
5. Consider other health issues– There are many health problems that can affect vision health, which is why it is important to have a talk with a professional about how medical conditions and medications can have an impact on the eyes.
6. Sunglasses– Seniors need to build the habit of always wearing sunglasses when they go outside.
7. Sleep– Getting a good night’s sleep is not only beneficial for overall health, wellbeing and quality of life, but for eye health as well.
8. Vision screenings– Since changes to vision can happen rapidly for seniors, they should get their vision tested once a year.
If your loved one is experiencing changes in their vision or they just want to build healthy habits, Comfort Keepers of Edmonton, AB are here to help. Our trained caregivers can assist you parent with meal preparation and make sure they include enough vitamins and nutrients into their meals. We can also provide medication reminders and can support prescribed exercise regimens. With our help, our clients are able to find joy and happiness and lead a healthy and active life, regardless of their medical condition.
Comments are closed.