Uncategorized | July 27, 2020
Staying in touch with family and friends and being socially connected is important in all stages of life. However, nurturing social connections is often hard in senior years, when older adults spend a lot of time at home and live with various conditions that prevent them from being as active as they would like.
If you are concerned that your loved one is lonely and socially isolated, the good news is that there are ways to re-engage them in social activities and make their days brighter and more fulfilled. Here is what you can do:
- Teach your parent something new – Many older adults are tech-savvy nowadays, but some seniors could use some help with more advanced programs or platforms. Depending on your loved one’s use of technology, you can teach them anything from setting up video chats and using new social platforms to learning the basics of programs like Photoshop.
- Involve other family members or friends – You can use technology to set up video chats with several people at once. This is a great way for your loved one to stay involved in family matters or catch up with old friends.
- Have fun online – Some of the most popular board games can now be played online, including Monopoly and Scrabble. There are also many other websites where you can play card games or quizzes. If you are unable to play in real life, you can organize a game night with your loved one once or twice a month.
- Spend as much time in person as possible – While most people today have busy schedules, it is important to set aside some time for your family, just for enjoyment. Make sure to visit your loved one at least once a month and have some fun together.
- Become pen pals – Rarely anyone writes letters these days, but there is hardly a person that would not be excited to get a letter in the mail. You do not have to write each other long letters, instead, you can send cards, drawings, photos, and more.
- Think about hiring a senior care provider – If your loved one could use some help with daily chores, it is best to hire a caregiver to help them and provide meaningful companionship too.
Comfort Keepers Can Help
Comfort Keepers senior home care agency proudly serves older adults in Victoria, BC, providing not just assistance with daily tasks but also mental and physical stimulation in order to prevent loneliness and isolation. Our custom care plans are built in accordance with the needs of each client and they focus on interaction, physical and mental well-being, and social wellness.
Our mission is to help our clients lead happy lives as they age, regardless of how old they are or what challenges they may be facing in senior years. Please call our office today to learn more and get started with our services!